Welcome to season 3 of the Education On Fire Podcast . We are continuing to explore the thoughts of children and examine what school looks like to them. Today Shane and Jocelyn Sams from the Flipped Lifestyle Podcast are joined by their children Isaac (8) and Anna Jo (6) to help me answer ‘What do children think about their schooling?’
Shane and Jocelyn both worked in education before creating Flipped Lifestyle. You can find out more at
I am using the 10 questions below in each episode to try and find any themes that may keep recurring.
1. If you could design your own classroom what would it look like? Eg Large open plan loft style, small rooms, sit in rows or groups? Anything goes be creative!
2. How would you create your day and spend your time? Eg How much time inside/outside, how much studying, exercise, time on your own/with others, playing, games, projects. Anything goes be creative!
3. How do you assess your progress? What do you do everyday to move forward towards your goals and dreams?
4. How often do you discuss and think about – what you eat, exercise, breathing, sleeping, mindfulness, gratitude, volunteering?
5. How often do you discuss and think about life? Babies being born or people dying.
6. How often do you discuss money, budgets, savings, financial planning?
7. Do you work with a mentor? Do you know what a mentor is?
8. How often do you lead a team of people?
9. Do you like working on real projects that are relevant to you? Eg Fundraising, events for the local community, school productions, concerts, sports events?
10. Of the things you enjoy most – do they happen in school time or are they after school clubs?