Today Men of Abundance podcaster Wally Carmichael and his son Dalton talk to me as I continue to ask ‘What do children think about their schooling?
We get some great insights from Dalton about selling old toys to create income and Wally talks about his own experiences and those of his older sons.
We discuss practical learning as well as traditional academia and how this can help learning skills for trade jobs and not just degrees. The different ways that we all learn and how the personalised approach is supportive for everyone not just those who seem to be struggling.
How education can still be linked back to the ideals of the industrial revolution and what is needed to help children prepare for the workforce of the future .
I am using the 10 questions below in each episode to try and find any themes that may keep recurring.
1. If you could design your own classroom what would it look like? Eg Large open plan loft style, small rooms, sit in rows or groups? Anything goes be creative!
2. How would you create your day and spend your time? Eg How much time inside/outside, how much studying, exercise, time on your own/with others, playing, games, projects. Anything goes be creative!
3. How do you assess your progress? What do you do everyday to move forward towards your goals and dreams?
4. How often do you discuss and think about – what you eat, exercise, breathing, sleeping, mindfulness, gratitude, volunteering?
5. How often do you discuss and think about life? Babies being born or people dying.
6. How often do you discuss money, budgets, savings, financial planning?
7. Do you work with a mentor? Do you know what a mentor is?
8. How often do you lead a team of people?
9. Do you like working on real projects that are relevant to you? Eg Fundraising, events for the local community, school productions, concerts, sports events?
10. Of the things you enjoy most – do they happen in school time or are they after school clubs?